Thursday 12 February 2015

How little can it cost to eat well? 

Two years ago we were spending in the region of £200 a week on food, drink and household goods. Once we started to grow, forage and make our own we easily reduced this by a good £80- £90 and at the same time upped the quality of the raw ingredients  that we were buying and subsequently the food that we ate.

Inquisitive as to whether this was a reasonable amount to spend for a family of five I did a bit of a survey amongst my friends and family. The results are pretty varied; as are my friends and family!

For a family of four/five it ranges from as low as £60 all the way to £200. That is a huge variation! I am intrigued, and dare I say it, a little disappointed. It turns out that, despite all our baking, making and growing, our high effort £120 is pretty average amongst the fairly careful shoppers and a long way off from the Aldi shoppers and those utilising the 3 for £10 meat deals or the freezer aisles.

Driven by financial necessity and my rather competitive nature I am suddenly involved in a "challenge".
For four weeks my friend Katherine (another mother of three with a competitive personality) will endeavour to feed our hungry troops for £80 a week.

To make the challenge appropriate to our family ethics and values I will continue to support local businesses rather than depending on supermarket deals. This is particularly important to me with regard to meat, fish, eggs and milk and will definitely make it more challenging.
Katherine's particular objective is to reduce her food costs without her children noticing that anything has changed.

Our challenge will begin on Monday 23rd February.




No comments:

Post a Comment