Sunday 8 March 2015

Over spend of £2.44
Annoyingly I had to dig in to next weeks budget to buy lemons and coriander.

In a bid to try to justify this over spend I need to point out that my Mum has been visiting us. On Monday and Tuesday I was feeding 6 instead of 5. Viewed in this way she actually only cost £1.22 extra a day to entertain! What's more, I don't think that she realised we were spending so little on her food. Although, having said that, she did give me a £20 note and a big cuddle as she was leaving and told me to treat myself!

Something that I have found particularly interesting this week is a poster produced by Hubbub Hubbub website). The organisation aims to communicate environmental issues in a fresh and positive way and demonstrates some thought provoking facts and some simple changes that we can all make to the way that we shop, cook and eat.



Hubbub push pancakes as a great way of using up ingredients that might otherwise have gone to waste and their site has some great recipe ideas for pancakes from around the world.

As much as the girls like pancakes they favour them with a squeeze of lemon and some sugar so I am inclined to stand by my love of soup, as the most versatile way of using up leftovers. Many a time I have literally blended up the previous nights dinner with some stock and in next to no time we have a scrummy lunch. Brilliant for taking to the allotment or for a winter picnic.


This weeks soups were Cheesy Broccoli, a fab blend of Sundays cauliflower and broccoli cheese with some leeks and stock. Chicken Broth (for Soup Night) made from the last of Sundays roast chicken. Leek and potato soup and Tomato, parsnip and lentil soup, using tinned cherry tomatoes in place of fresh (for Soup Night 2). Its been a souper week!


No comments:

Post a Comment