Tuesday 13 January 2015

Low Budget January... (and maybe all of 2015, if I don't find a job !)

The children are back at school and I have finally retrieved the last of the stray Christmas cards and baubles from under the sofa.

Having closed the door on 2014 and emptied the house of all our alcohol (except for our last three bottles of Greengage Spirit - not too much temptation I can assure you!) we have stoically embarked upon a dry January and pledged to reduce our food costs and living expenses once again. The former is a tradition (an attempt to compensate for the excesses of December and the months preceding it) and the latter is a necessity born of our wobbly finances and my need to find paid work.

Finally  took advantage of the persistent marketing from Ocado and ordered a home delivery on the grounds that they were offering £25 off my first shop rather than the more regular £20. The shopping process took me several hours as I was determined to make full use of the discount and fill my cupboard with useful ingredients. I was impressed that the delivery slots are colour coded so that you can coincide your delivery with others local to you and help save on fuel and even more impressed by David the delivery man. He was really friendly, full of laughter and took the trouble to carry the shopping into the house for me. It actually felt as if my local grocer had dropped my shopping round as a favour. 

Getting on a bit of a role with these new year marketing discounts and as we have very little left on the allotment at the  moment decided to give Abel and Cole a go as well. 
I love it!
It felt like Christmas morning all over again when, just before 8am, Tyran arrived with a box brimming with fabulous vegetables and my complimentary recipe book and calendar. Feel impressed by the service,  the product, and the ordering process so will definitely continue with this for the next four weeks (our fourth box is free). 

Keeping a check on all my food expenses to see how they compare with previous months and whether or not I can make this way of shopping work for us.

  


No comments:

Post a Comment